Sunday, September 11, 2011

911





10 years ago, my generation had a "where were you when it happened" moment.  I was at a playgroup that morning with Kessiah.  There were about 4-5 other moms there and several kiddos.  We heard what had happened and turned the t.v. on but I didn't of course understand the full story until I got home and later than afternoon watched more footage and news reports.  I was pretty much glued to the t.v. for several hours...and days (I would never be able to do that now, it would upset my children too much)

That evening as Ryan and I were watching the news, Kessiah took her first steps.  We were eating chips and salsa on the floor and she wanted a chip...and took a step to try to get one!

I cried every day for 2 weeks as I watched more footage and read stories about what happened.  My heart broke for people who had lost children, husbands, wives, and friends.  Tears come to my eyes even as I write this...it was a profound event.

Ryan is now at a 9/11 memorial event that the town sponsors.  He took Kessiah and Jenessa with him...they usually jump at the chance to go everywhere with him.  It is interesting to try to explain what happened to them.  Just before they left Kessiah came to the realization that the people who got on those planes to do this also died...she couldn't understand why they would do that.  As much as I want nothing that bad to ever happen again, I realize that it might, could....will happen again.  What will be the "where were you when it happened" moment for my children?





No comments: